Followers

Sunday, June 21, 2009

GREAT CAKES!

I just completed baking two great desserts! Baking is one of my favorite things to do, and I am always looking for an excuse to do so. So, with Father's Day coming up, I figured it was a chance to try two new recipes. Dorie's Perfect Party Cake, and Vanilla Bean Cheesecake.

My father in-law, I am told, has an affinity for white cake and white frosting. I have never had success with made-from-scratch white or yellow cakes.

Until now.
I forgot to snap a picture of the cake prior to it being devoured, but I must say that I was delighted with my result, and so was my father in-law. Instead of layering raspberry preserves between the layers, I chose strawberry. I also added a vanilla bean to the icing, and left out the lemon extract. It was divine. I am now wondering what other types of fillings I could use. . .
The Vanilla Bean Cheesecake recipe is a copy-cat recipe from the Cheesecake Factory. I've still yet to taste it, since it's waiting on dinner with my dad tonight, but it looks pretty good. The next time I make it, I'll attempt to "pretty it up" but I still think it looks pretty darn yummy.
The Cheesecake is layered with white chocolate mousse and home made vanilla bean whipped cream. I can't wait to eat it. :)

No comments: